Students in the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design (Daniels) are able to avail themselves of the Late Withdrawal mechanism to assist them to remedy situations, particularly in their early years at university, where personal or other circumstances mean they are irretrievably behind in a course.
- Students in Daniels may request to Late Withdraw, that is, to withdraw without petition, from a course beginning the day after the last date to drop without academic penalty in the relevant term and up until the last day of classes in the same term.
- Students may request to Late Withdraw from a total of no more than 3.0 FCE.
- Students must make such requests to the Daniels Office of the Registrar and Student Services; the Registrar and Associate Registrar have the authority to approve such requests if the circumstances warrant approval of an exception to the normal drop deadlines.
- All requests for Late Withdrawal from a course must be made to the Daniels Office of the Registrar and Student Services, whether the course is a Daniels course or a Faculty of Arts & Science course.
- Withdrawals approved under this procedure will be noted on the academic record by the course status LWD (Late Withdrawal). The relevant course will not be removed from the academic record. This course status will have no effect on the GPA or other elements of the academic record.
Students who have fallen behind with assignments or are not at all prepared to write exams in one or more of courses will be expected to make use of this remedy, and should contact the Office of the Registrar and Student Services immediately.
Students seeking to avail themselves of this remedy will be expected to work with their registrarial advisor to analyze what led to their predicament, to discuss what steps they can take to prevent it from happening again, and to learn from their experiences.
Students who transfer to Daniels from the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Arts & Science (FAS), University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) or University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) will have any and all FAS/UTM/UTSC Late Withdrawal requests included in their Daniels academic record. These Late Withdrawal requests are counted towards the 3.0 FCE maximum.
Any future petitions for Withdrawal, Deferred Exams, or Extensions for Term Work will be considered in light of the fact that the student has previously been granted such an opportunity.
Note that the option for Late Withdrawal is not available if an allegation of academic misconduct is under investigation.