The Daniels Faculty stands in solidarity with all people seeking a just society without racial, ethnic, or sexual discrimination. As we work to improve our school's diversity and our responsiveness to the needs of students and faculty who have faced systemic racism, we will continue updating this page with related news and resources. The Diversity and Equity Committee has formed a group to assemble resources and reading lists. In the interim, please note the University of Toronto’s resources below.
The Daniels Faculty is hiring a Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The Director, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion works collaboratively with academic, administrative and student leaders to develop and implement initiatives aimed at advancing equity, diversity and inclusion within the learning and working environments across the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design. Application deadline: October 29, 11:59 PM EST.
Learn more about the position.
University of Toronto’s diversity and anti-racism resources
The University of Toronto provides a number of resources for community members looking for ways to combat — or heal from — the effects of discrimination and violence. Here are some of them.
- The University of Toronto's Anti-Racism and Cultural Diversity Office leads educational programs, hosts anti-racism events, and responds to complaints about discrimination and harassment.
- Indigenous Student Services provides culturally relevant services to support the academic success and well-being of Indigenous students.
- The Multi-Faith Centre fosters interfaith dialogue on campus.
- The Sexual and Gender Diversity Office works to foster LGBTQ inclusion on campus, in part by offering individual support services.
- The St. George Health and Wellness Centre provides a number of health-related services to students, including mental health services.
- The Sexual Violence Prevention and Support Centre provides a range of services to students and faculty who have been affected by sexual assault or sexual harassment.
The Daniels Faculty's Diversity and Equity Committee
The Diversity and Equity Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty. The Faculty’s bylaws charge it with the following responsibilities:
- Recommending diversity and equity principles and goals for the Faculty to our governing body, Faculty Council.
- Advising other standing committees about how to make sure the Faculty’s practices reflect its diversity and equity principles and goals.
- Advising and making recommendations about increasing diversity to the dean, who has authority over personnel matters.
- Reporting to Faculty Council about its deliberations, recommendations, and decisions.
The current chair of the committee is associate professor Jane Wolff.
The University of Toronto, the Daniels Faculty, and the Daniels Faculty's student unions have released statements of solidarity with anti-racism protesters. Read them by following the links below:
Dean Richard Sommer and Interim Dean Robert Wright co-authored a letter outlining the Daniels Faculty's first steps in combatting systemic anti-Black racism:
If you'd like to know more about the Daniels Faculty's efforts to foster diversity and inclusion, or if you're a student or faculty member who would like to get involved in those efforts, email for more information.