The Daniels Faculty will assess all post-secondary credits obtained at a certified institution for potential transfer credit. Acceptance of transfer credits by the University of Toronto shall be based on the recognition that, while learning experiences may differ in a variety of ways, their substance may be virtually equivalent in terms of their content and rigour.
Current Daniels Faculty students who wish to take courses at other academic institutions must review the information on the Post Admission page.
All transfer students into the Daniels Faculty should review the following information carefully:
- All transfer students must submit a transfer credit assessment application electronically, by mail or in person. We strongly prefer submission by email.
- It is strongly recommended that all incoming transfer students for the 2019/20 academic year submit their Transfer Credit Assessment Application by June 1, 2019. The deadline to submit an assessment is June 26, 2019.
- If documentation is incomplete or is submitted after the deadline, we cannot guarantee that transfer credit assessments will be reviewed before course enrolment begins in July.
- Transfer students may need to complete more than the minimum number of credits required, 20.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCE), in order to complete their degree requirements in the Daniels Faculty.
- Transfer students should review the program requirements for the stream in which they have been granted admission paying close attention to the number of required first-year courses Daniels students must take. A maximum of 6.0 FCE at the 100-level may be used for degree credit in the Daniels Faculty and this includes transfer credits (i.e. if a student recieves 4.0 FCE in 100-level transfer credits and they still must take 4.0 FCE of required first-year courses for the Architectural Studies program, 2.0 credits will be marked 'Extra' and will not count towards degree credit).
- Transfer students must still take the required first-year courses unless they receive transfer credit for those courses; they may also need to take other first-year courses depending on their academic interests.
- Transfer credits awarded for post-secondary level studies cannot be forfeited.
- Transfer students may not be able to complete all degree requirements within four years from the date on which they began their post-secondary studies outside of the Daniels Faculty, or may need to take summer courses in order to do so.
- Transfer students are not eligible to go on an outbound exchange during their first year of study in the Daniels Faculty, no matter to which year of study they were admitted.
- There are limits to the maximum number of credits that may be transferred, depending on where previous studies were completed and what portion of a program was completed, for further details visit the General Information page.
Transfer Credit Assessment Requests
The following documentation is required in order for previous post-secondary courses to be assessed for transfer credit:
- A $30 transfer credit assessment fee must be paid in order to initiate the transfer credit assessment process. The fee must be paid by money order or certified cheque, payable to the University of Toronto, or by cash in-person at the Office of the Registrar and Student Services.
- Complete the Transfer Credit Assessment Application
- Ensure that an official final transcript or transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended has been submitted to the University of Toronto. Note: If a final official transcript was submitted to the University of Toronto as part of the admission process, you do not need to arrange for a new one to be sent, unless specifically instructed to do so.
- Detailed course syllabi for all post-secondary courses that you have completed. The Daniels Faculty will not return, nor make copies of, course syllabi and/or any other documentation submitted for the purposes of transfer credit assessment.
The required documentation can be submitted as follows, where applicable:
- Preferably as PDF documents sent via e-mail to email@example.com using the subject line “Transfer Credit Assessment".
- In person to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services at the address below.
- Via mail to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services at the address below.
Transfer Credit Section, John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design
University of Toronto
1 Spadina Crescent, Room 100
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2J5