Back to top

Letter of Permission (Post Admission)

Daniels Faculty students who wish to take courses at other academic institutions (other than on exchange through the Centre for International Experience) must request a Letter of Permission, a minimum of eight weeks prior to the start of the academic session.

A Letter of Permission indicates whether or not you are eligible for transfer credit, the course equivalencies and exclusions (where relevant), and any restrictions or conditions that may apply upon successful completion of a course at a different institution. Upon completion of course work on a Letter of Permission, you must arrange with the host institution to have an official transcript sent directly to the Transfer Credit Section of the Daniels Faculty. Upon receipt of the official transcript, the Letter of Permission is re-evaluated and you will be notified of which, if any, transfer credits you have received.

In some cases, the Daniels Faculty may require additional information in order to grant a Letter of Permission or to award credit upon completion.

Be advised, if you do not receive approval through a Letter of Permission prior to completing courses at another post-secondary institution, there is no guarantee that those courses will be eligible for transfer credit towards your degree within the Daniels Faculty at U of T. You will be required to petition for the allowance of a retroactive transfer credit assessment which will be subject to review and approval. 

Letters of Permission can take up to four (4) to six (6) weeks to process.


In order to be eligible to request a Letter of Permission you must;

  • Be registered in the Honours Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies or the Honours Bachelor of Arts in Visual Studies
  • Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 1.5 in the academic session prior to studies at the host institution and
  • Have completed a minimum of 4.0 credits by the academic session for which you are requesting a Letter of Permission

You are not eligible if;

  • You owe money to the University of Toronto,
  • You are ineligible to register in the Daniels Faculty because you are on academic suspension,
  • If you are on academic probation,
  • If you have already received academic credit for the course(s) or a similar course or courses,
  • If you have already completed your degree requirements,
  • If you have already received 10.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCE) on-admission transfer credits or 5.0 FCE post-admission transfer credits, or
  • If you have received a combination of on-admission and/or post-admission transfer credits that total 10.0 FCE.

Apply for a Letter of Permission

The following is required in order to request a Letter of Permission:

  • Completion of the Letter of Permission Request Form
  • $40.00 fee. Payment can be made by cash, or by certified cheque or money order payable to the University of Toronto.
  • Detailed course syllabi for all courses you are requesting to take at the host institution

Please email the completed request form and course syllabi to with the subject line "Letter of Permission". 

NOTE: If you are interested in studying in China during the summer session, please note that only studies completed through Fudan University and Peking University in the People’s Republic of China will be accepted for a Letter of Permission. 

Transfer Credits

Upon completion of courses through a Letter of Permission, you must arrange for an official transcript to be sent directly from the host institution to the Office of the Registrar & Student Services. Once received, your Letter of Permission will be reviewed and all eligible courses will be added to your academic record. 

If you have any questions, please contact:

Visit: Office of the Registrar & Student Services, Room 100


Phone: +1-416-946-3897