Post-Admission Transfer Credits & Summer Studies

Note for Summer 2021: Letters of Permission and post-admission transfer credit will not be granted if an equivalent course is being offerred at Daniels or the Faculty of Arts & Science.

Post-Admission transfer credits may be granted for course work completed at another recognized post-secondary institution, outside of an exchange program through the University of Toronto or an approved Letter of Permission from the Daniels Faculty. Students who have completed studies at another recognized post-secondary institution can apply for a post-admission transfer credit assessment, if they are interested in applying credit earned towards their University of Toronto degree.

For students interested in taking courses abroad, the Centre for International Experience (CIE) offers many study abroad opportunities. To learn more about studies completed on exchange, please refer to our Outbound Exchange information. Alternatively, the Summer Abroad program offers overseas opportunities where students earn U of T credit. Completion of these courses does not require pre-approval or a transfer credit assessment. 

International Summer Study Options

The Centre for International Experience (CIE) at U of T has identified a number of institutions with whom students can apply to study for the summer session, outside of a formal exchange program. Students apply directly to the host institution and to CIE by the listed deadline(s). Please note that for some institutions, spaces are limited. Approved students pay fees directly to the host institution. Upon completion of courses, students must submit a post-admission transfer credit assessment to the Daniels Faculty ORSS. The potential for a pre-assessment of course eligibility for transfer credits is possible but not guaranteed. A request for pre-assessment must be made a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the start of courses. For more information, please contact

The following is a list of some of the approved institutions. 

  • Bocconi University
  • Charles university
  • Keio University
  • Korean Advanced Institute of Science & Technology 
  • Masaryk University 
  • National university of Ireland (Maynooth)
  • Paris 1 - Pantheon Sorbonne University 
  • Sciences Po
  • Technical University of Monterrey
  • Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
  • University College, London - UCL
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • University of Exeter
  • University of Granada
  • University of Mannheim
  • Utrecht University 
  • Waseda University
  • London School of Economics 
  • Stanford University 
  • University of Cambridge
  • University of Oxford
  • Independent Summer Program: Green.Building.Solutions (Austria)

Summer Studies in China

Daniels students interested in summer studies in China, are encouraged to first explore the CIE offerings through the University’s partner institutions in China.  Outside of these opportunities, transfer credit for studies completed in China during the summer session will only be considered where the courses are part of the degree program of a degree granting recognized institution and where proof of registration and issuance of the final official transcript is through the Registrar’s Office of that institution.

To gain transfer credit from summer session studies in China, the Daniels Faculty will consider only the following two options.

  1. Participation through a partner exchange institution. One can either consider going through CIE on an outbound exchange or independently. Acceptable institutions include Fudan University or Peking University.

Note: In order to receive 1.0 FCE from either Fudan University or Peking University students need to enroll in 6.0 units. Most courses carry a credit weight of 2.0 units. Therefore, you will need to complete at least two 2.0 unit courses for a half credit and three 2.0 unit courses for a full credit. As these institutions are partner institutions, verification of studies through a government agency is not required. In the event you decide to complete studies at either one of these institutions independently, you will need to apply for post-admission transfer credit upon your return.

  1. Participation through the study abroad program through one of the following six institutions. Students interested in this option should apply for a Letter of Permission.
  • Portland State University, OR
  • Texas Wesleyan University, TX
  • Bridgewater State University, MA
  • Eastern Michigan University, MI
  • Framingham State University, MA
  • Seminole State College of Florida, FL

Assessing Transfer Credits

Some factors taken into consideration during the assessment of courses for post-admission transfer credit include:

  • Content (must be appropriate for the type of curriculum and programs offered in the Daniels Faculty or Faculty of Arts & Science and must not overlap with previous coursework);
  • Level and type of instruction;
  • Credit weight of the course;
  • Academic structure at the host institution;
  • Type of academic program through which the course was taught;
  • Grading system used by the host university
  • If the course completed had any studio component, then samples of completed studio work may be required.

Submitting a Post-Admission Transfer Credit Assessment

  1. Submit the Transfer Credit Assessment Application (Post-Admission)
  2. Pay the $30 fee from your Daniels account. Log into your Daniels Account and look for an "ORSS Services" tab on the top-left of the screen, which has a list of different payments that can be made. Once you have made the payment, please email the receipt/proof of payment (a screenshot is okay) to
  3. Email complete course syllabi for all courses to
  4. Arrange for the official final transcript to be sent directly from the host institution to the Office of the Registrar & Student Services

Please Note:

  • Submission of all documentation (except payment) MUST be by email.
  • Course descriptions are not sufficient for a transfer credit assessment. Complete course syllabi should include information to answer all pieces mentioned above. Send 1 PDF per course syllabi, with the course name as the PDF name.
  • Transcripts submitted by the student (even if sealed) will not be accepted.
  • Emailed copies of transcripts will not be accepted.
  • The granting of post-admission transfer credits are considered on a case-by-case basis and are therefore not guaranteed.
  • Students are eligible for a maximum of 10.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCE) of on-admission transfer credits or 5.0 FCE post-admission transfer credits, or a combination of on-admission and/or post-admission transfer credits that total 10.0 FCE.
  • A maximum of 1.0 300/400 level transfer credit may be used towards the fulfillment of the 300/400 level degree requirement for students submitting a Post-Admission Transfer Credit Assessment.
  • Whenever possible we strongly encourage students to consider one of the other pre-approved methods for studying abroad. 

IE Awards+

International Experience Awards were up until now only available for students going on exchange through CIE. From now on, students who decide to go on a learning abroad experience, such as research, courses, or professional experience, organized or coordinated by any division at UofT, will be able to be considered to receive an IE Award+.(all faculties included).

IE Awards+ are based on financial needs and follow the same assessment as regular IE awards. Please note that CIE is able to grant only one award per student and per year.


– Summer opportunities: May 1

– Fall and Full Academic Year opportunities: September 1

– Winter and Full Calendar Year opportunities: January 1

Details and application form are now live on the Learning Abroad website.

Contact Us

If you have any questions, please contact:

Visit: Office of the Registrar & Student Services, Room 100

Phone: +1-416-946-3897