Back to top


What is the difference between enrolment and registration? To enrol, you add courses. To register, you pay your tuition and incidental fees, or register without payment (defer fees). Please visit our Tuition Fees page for detailed information, including deadlines to register, service charge dates, and how to pay or defer (request to register without payment) fees.

Students can check their Account Invoice on the Student Web Service/ACORN, where they will find their account balance, other account details, and a link to the fee payment and service charge billing schedules on the Student Accounts website. The Student Accounts website posts all official fee information. Please familiarize yourself with this information as it is your responsibility to fund your studies and to make yourself aware of payment deadlines.

Fees for the 2018-19 academic year will be posted at in mid-July. In addition to tuition fees, students are required to pay incidental fees. These include campus fees, student society fees and, in some professional programs, a placement fee.

International students must also pay for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

For students admitted on a part-time basis, the part-time fee is calculated at approximately 30% of the full-time fee. Only students admitted as part-time students may pay part-time fees; not all programs allow part-time registration. For detailed information on fees, please visit the Student Accounts website.

Late registration fees for the Fall session are assessed for any outstanding fees on September 15, 2018. We therefore recommend that you pay your fees at a Canadian bank or financial institution by August 24, 2018 to allow for processing time.

*Students cannot defer their fees if they have any outstanding fees (arrears) from a previous academic session.

Fees for both the Fall and Winter sessions are payable upon registration. You should pay your fees at a Canadian bank or financial institution by August 24, 2018 to avoid late registration fees. 

Detailed information, including tuitionrefund schedules, requesting to register without payment, and payment and service charge deadlines, is available on the Student Accounts website. General fees information can also be found on the School of Graduate Studies website.

Registration Eligibility

We make every effort to ensure that registration material is only sent to students who are eligible to register. However, receiving it does not override any other notification you received about your academic status and eligibility.

You can register if you are a:

  • New student who has contacted your home graduate unit to clear the outstanding conditions indicated on your Offer of Admission letter

  • Continuing student who is within the time limit for your degree program

  • Student with no outstanding U of T tuition fees

You are considered registered as soon as you have paid tuition and incidental fees or have requested to register without payment (i.e., fee deferral). For information on registering without payment (i.e. fee deferral), visit the Graduate Fees section of the SGS website.

Leave of Absence

Graduate students may apply to their Graduate Coordinator for a one-session to three-session leave of absence during their program of study. The leave period is not included in the time limit for completion of the degree. A leave of absence is not permitted in your first session of registration. You must be registered for a minimum of one session prior to requesting a leave of absence. For more information please review the leave of absence information on the SGS website.

If you require a leave from your Daniels program, complete the request for leave of absence form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services for consideration.


If you're planning to withdraw, carefully consider your decision and discuss it with your Advisor/Supervisor and Graduate Coordinator. If you do decide to withdraw, complete the Program Withdrawal form and submit it to your graduate unit.

If you withdraw from your program, you may re-apply in the future by completing a new application. Your graduate unit may allow for some coursework completed prior to withdrawal to be counted as credit toward the new degree program.

Depending upon when you withdraw, you may receive a fees rebate. A refund schedule is available at Student Accounts. You may be required to refund all or a portion of your funding and/or awards to the University. Contact your graduate unit with any funding-related questions and the Graduate Awards Office at SGS with any awards-related questions.