When a request is submitted, the Daniels Faculty will assess courses obtained at a post-secondary institution where a degree program has been completed for potential course exemptions. Acceptance of course exemptions by the Daniels Faculty shall be based on the recognition that, while learning experiences may differ in a variety of ways, their substance may be virtually equivalent in terms of their content and rigour. Some courses, however, are considered paired with one another or with the studio cirriculum. We therefore may not consider exemption for all courses.
In order for your course exemption requests to be reviewed before elective course enrolment begins, you must submit the required documentation as soon as possible, and no later than Tuesday, August 9, 2016. If your documentation is submitted after this date, we will still accept it but cannot guarantee that your course exemption request will be assessed before course enrolment begins.
Course exemptions are granted only upon approval of the Instructor and the Program Director and are not guaranteed. You must have achieved a grade of B or higher to be considered. Course exemptions do not reduce the total number of credits required for the degree. Each course exemption granted has a certain number of Full Course Equivalents (FCE) that must be replaced with electives totaling the same number of FCEs. Course exemptions have no credit weight. Signatures from course instructors or the Program Director are not to be obtained by students. The Office of the Registrar and Student Services will process the request.
The following documentation is required in order for your previous credits to be assessed for course exemption:
- One course exemption request form per course request;
- Course description as listed in the university calendar;
- Course outline distributed by the professor in class;
- (if applicable) Copies of assignments (essays, tests, etc.) completed in the course;
- (if applicable) Visual documentation of projects completed in the case of design and representation courses;
- A complete copy of the official academic transcript showing grades of courses taken.
Click here or visit the front desk of the Daniels Faculty for the Daniels Faculty Request for Course Exemption Form. If you experience trouble viewing the form in a web browser, download and save the form.
The required documentation can be submitted in one of three ways, where applicable:
- As PDF documents via e-mail to email@example.com using the subject line “Course Exemption Request”
- In person to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services
- Via mail to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services at:
Course Exemption Section
John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design
Unviersity of Toronto
230 College Street
Canada M5T 1R2
Please note that exemptions are not guaranteed. Content of previously granted exemptions may no longer be sufficient as cirriculum and course enhancements are made.
Advanced standing and transfer credits are granted only by the Admissions Committee at the time of admission.