Back to top

Daniels Faculty COVID-19 FAQs

Updated February 8, 2021

These questions and answers are for ALL Daniels current students, both undergraduate and graduate.  If your questions are not answered below, please email

Winter 2021

When do winter 2021 classes start?

All Daniels Faculty undergraduate and graduate classes start on January 11, 2021. See the dean's November 20 announcement for more details.

NOTE: As of November 20, 2020, the sessional dates have not yet changed on the website or ACORN.  All administrative sessional dates will be reviewed and amended in the coming weeks.

Will my winter 2021 classes be online?

Yes. Winter 2021 courses and studios will be online. See the dean's October 1 announcement for more details.

Will the new January 11 start date impact reading week?

No. Reading week dates will remain the same (February 15-19). Any previously scheduled field courses will continue remotely during that time as planned.

Will the new start date change when the term ends?

No. The January 11 start date for winter 2021 classes will not impact the end of the term. Classes will end on April 9. Final exams and reviews will still be completed by April 30, 2021.

Summer 2021

Will my summer 2021 classes be online?

Yes. Summer 2021 courses and studios will be online. See the dean's February 8 announcement for more details.


On Campus and Daniels Buildings

Is One Spadina open to students?

No. Effective Monday, November 23 at 12:01 am EST, the Daniels Building is in lockdown.

Is One Spadina open to the public?

No. The Faculty's facilities (located at One Spadina, Borden, and the Earth Sciences Centre) are closed to the general public. All on-site public events (public lectures, art and design exhibitions, etc.) are postponed or cancelled.

I need to come to campus. What do I need to do before I visit?

As of Monday, November 23, all buildings are closed to the public and to students. If you need to come to campus, you must make an appointment for an approved visit. Please contact Naveed Khan

If your visit to campus is approved, you must complete a self-assessment of your health before your appointment.

The easiest and most secure way to do this is with UCheck, an online tool that asks you a series of questions about your health and then generates a risk status ("red," meaning high risk, or "green," meaning low risk). If you are unable to use UCheck, you can also keep track of your health status on paper, using the University of Toronto's official self-assessment form, which you can download here. For more information on UCheck, visit

Do I need to wear a mask on campus?

Yes. As part of its commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for its community, the University has implemented a temporary Policy on Non-Medical Masks and Face Coverings requiring non-medical masks or face coverings to be worn indoors in all common-use spaces on University property.

How do I get my fob and my U of T face mask?

At this time, there is no access to Daniels facilities. As soon as it is safe to re-open, students will be able to obtain their face masks and fobs. More details will be shared when it is safe to do so.

What health and safety measures are in place at One Spadina?

Additional health and safety measures are in place at One Spadina including physical distancing, protective shields, increased signage, disinfectant stations, and mandatory masks in indoor common areas.

Is the Earth Sciences Building (33 Willcocks) open to students?

The Earth Sciences Building is open Monday–Friday, 10am - 3pm (with extended hours on Thursdays, 9am - 4pm). Forestry graduate students (PhD, MScF) should request access through their supervisors.

Is Borden open to students?

North and South Borden will be closed this semester (with exceptions for MVS graduate students who may access the building using fobs).


Will I be permitted to work in the building?

No. Effective Monday, November 23 at 12:01 am EST, the Daniels Building will be closed to the public and to students. If you need to access the building, please contact Naveed Khan.

How do I book studio or work space in the building?

All Daniels buildings and facilities are closed until further notice. If you have an existing booking, please contact Naveed Khan.

How can I access or use the workshop, laser cutters or any other facilities?

All facilities are closed until further notice. If you have an existing appointment, please contact Naveed Khan.

Will I have access to printers and plotters, including 3D printers?

No. As of November 23, the building and its facilities are closed. All 3D printing submissions will be managed digitally this term. See our Daniels 3D Printing Resources page for instructions on how to submit a print. Once your project is approved remotely, it will be printed and you will be notified via email on how to pick up your print. Print collection will occur once per week on Fridays.

Will I have access to laser cutters?

Laser lab facilities bookings are currently closed. Please email Nicholas Hoban,, to request access. Requests will be evaluated based on academic necessity.

I am a graduate student. Will I have access to my office?

Graduate students in research programs can access their offices if they adhere to safety guidelines – only one student will be permitted to use a shared office at a time. We will establish a digital office sign-up sheet to coordinate this process.

Forestry graduate students: If you have been assigined an office in the Earth Sciences Building, you must use Forestry's Online Booking System. This process will ensure that one only student at a time uses the office to adhere to campus safety protocol. If you are eligible to receive keys for labs/offices in ECS, email Laura Lapchinski at

Is the IT HelpDesk open?

Yes. Online remote support is available, and is the preferred method of IT support at this time. 

If you require in-person support: the IT HelpDesk will remain open by appointment only on Monday, 10am - 4pm, and Friday 10am - 4 pm. Please submit request to

Will I have access to AV or IT equipment rentals?

Yes. If you need to borrow equipment, submit a Service Ticket Request. IT staff will respond with instructions and appointment on how to pick up your equipment. Pickup will be available only by appointment on Monday, 10am - 4pm, or Friday, 10am - 4pm.

Is Café 059 open?

No. The café will remain closed for the academic year. Vending machines in the Daniels Building will be stocked and you can check for on-campus dining updates.


Will Eberhard Zeidler Library open this year?

No. The Eberhard Zeiber Library will remain closed for the academic year.

How do I check out a book from our library?

Go to the library catalogue: to search for your materials. Under the options button you will find the Request button. Choose curbside pick-up and in a couple of days you will receive an email to pick it up at the Robarts Library. 

Do I need to return my library books?

Not at this time. All loans will be extended automatically.

Will there be any late fees?

No. Late fines will not be charged. However, if you already had fines pre-COVID-19, they will remain.

What if I do not have access to a computer or WiFi?

There is some technology available for your use through the library. Please go to: and click on COVID-19 updates at the top of the page and Support for students. Here you will find Access to study space and technology to book computer time:

Student Services

Is the Office of the Registrar and Student Services open?

Yes – remotely only. The Office of the Registrar and Student services is open remotely between 9:30am – 4pm EST Monday – Friday. The office is not open to any in-person activities. Contact to schedule a virtual advising appointment.

Can I schedule a virtual "drop-in" advising appointment?

Yes. Every Wednesday from 3-4pm EST and Thursday from 9 -10am EST, advisors are available for virtual counselling appointments via Zoom. 

How can I get a confirmation of enrolment letter?

For undergraduate students, a Confirmation of Enrolment letter can be automatically generated for you through your ACORN account. A step-by-step guide can be found here for you to review. If the information provided for you is not sufficient, you can order a customized Confirmation of Enrolment letter through the Office of the Registrar and Student Services. A request form can be found on our website by logging into your Daniels Account. 

Graduate students should contact the School of Graduate Studies to request a confirmation letter.

Will the deadline to LWD or CR/NCR a 2020 Fall term (F) course from the academic record be extended?

Yes. The Fall 2020 deadline to request an LWD or CR/NCR course has now been extended to January 15, 2020 to allow students to see final marks before making a decision about cancelling a course.

Will the deadline to LWD or CR/NCR a Winter 2021 S/Y course from the academic record be extended?

Yes. The winter 2021 deadline to request an LWD or CR/NCR course has been extended to May 7, 2021 to allow students to see final marks before making a decision about cancelling a course.

The drop date without academic penalty has NOT been extended.

Can I CR/NCR as many courses as I want?

No. Students must follow the proper policy when deciding whether or not to CR/NCR a course. A maximum of 2.0FCE may be used as CR/NCR. A CR/NCR course will not count towards any program requirements. Please review the academic calendar here.

Where can I find updates regarding central student services?

Student Life Programs and Services remains available to help, with some modifications to how they deliver services. Find updates here:

Where can I find answers to questions about residence?

The Office of the Vice Provost has posted answers to FAQs here: You can also find details on the housing website:

If you have any questions or concerns not answered through the above links, please contact us at

Financial Aid

I am in need of financial assistance because I have been impacted by the COVID-19. What can I do? 

Undergraduate students can complete the Emergency Undergraduate Grant Form and submit the completed form to

Graduate students can complete the emergency loan and/or emergency grant form, and submit to  

I have questions regarding financial assistance. Who can I contact?

All students can email us at

How can I get confirmation of funding?

For students in the funded cohort - If you require proof of funding as part of the study permit application (new or extension), students in the research stream programs PhD in Forestry and Master of Science in Forestry can email

Students who are starting in the PhD program in Architecture, Landscape, and Design in September 2020 can provide the funding letter that they received as part of their admissions decision. 


I am registered with Accessibility Services. Can I still access accommodations for my class? 

Please continue to consult your accessibility advisor as required. Accessibility Services can be reached through their main office line at 416-978-8060, and by email at:

Accessibility staff are available to answer your questions and help you to arrange telephone or Skype appointments with accessibility advisors, learning strategists, and their adaptive technologist. In addition, the volunteer notetaking program continues to run. Volunteer notetakers continue to take notes online and upload to the notetaking portal. 

Special updates for students registered at Accessibility Services can be found at:

I am a student registered with Accessibility Services and I’m concerned about doing well in online formats. Can I request accessibility-related accommodations?  

We recommend you start by contacting your instructor to see what individual accommodations can be considered for your course. If this is not a realistic option, or if you still have questions or concerns, please consult your accessibility advisor to discuss next steps. Special updates for students registered at Accessibility Services can be found at:

I am a student who usually writes tests and exams with accessibility-related accommodations. What are my next steps?  

It is very important you continue to register to receive accommodations for test/exams using the Clockwork Student Portal, even if you are intending to write an "online" evaluation with your class. Accommodated Testing Services will contact your instructor to make arrangements for extra time accommodations on your behalf, but it is critical that you continue to officially register with that office.   

If you wish to write at the Test Centre at 255 McCaul Street you still can do so, but it is important to reach out to Accommodated Testing Services as soon as possible to ensure staff are aware of your intention to write at the centre and not online with your class. If requested in advance, staff remain available at the centre to provide you with accommodated testing.  / 416-946-8584  

The deadline for undergraduate students to register with Accommodated Testing Services, should they wish to utilize accommodations for tests (including online examinations) for the April exam period, is March 23, as originally scheduled. 

Health and Wellness

Who can I speak to about my health?

We know that this time has been stressful for everyone. There are many supports and services available to all students. Here are a few:

Health and Wellness provides a range of health services for your physical and mental health, wellness programs, and information to help support you in achieving your personal and academic goals. Book an appointment with health and wellness.

Wellness Counsellor: John Power is our Faculty’s dedicated student-focused Wellness Counsellor who provides brief counselling services tailored to support those who may be struggling with the challenges presented by university life. To schedule an appointment: call 416-978-8030 (select option “5”) to register and schedule your first appointment with John (available Monday–Friday). 

At anytime, you may reach out to an advisor at the registrar’s office for an individual appointment.

Can I speak with someone today?

Health and Wellness counsellors are available for same-day, single-session counselling on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Single-session counselling provides students with quick access to support for help with issues like exam stress, relationship problems, sadness or nervousness and more. Appointments are limited and will be scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis. This service is not a route to ongoing therapy and does not replace crisis services.

Counsellors will meet with students virtually by secure video conferencing or by phone on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 10 AM to 3 PM (2:00 PM last appointment). To book an appointment, please call the Health & Wellness Centre at 416-978-8030 (option5).

Where can I find 24/7 support?

If at anytime there is an emergency, please call 911.

Free 24/7 support is available outside the university. Students, staff, and faculty can speak to a trained crisis worker at any hour of the day.

  • NAVI – Your Mental Health Wayfinder
  • Good 2 Talk Student Helpline 1-866-925-5454. Professional counselling, information and referrals for mental health, addictions and well-being.
  • My SSP for U of T Students 1-844-451-9700. Immediate counselling support is available in 35 languages and ongoing support in 146 languages.

I am not feeling well. What should I do?

If you have flu-like symptoms, you should stay home and self-isolate. If you experience symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g. fever, cough, difficulty breathing), you should use this Ontario Ministry of Health self-assessment tool:

If you are advised by a public health authority that you have tested positive for COVID-19, please contact immediately.

What if I live in residence and I feel unwell? 

If you experience symptoms while living in residence, quarantine yourself and phone your residence front desk, who will inform the dean of students/residence office. You should also record your absence through ACORN and call Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000 (TTY: 1-866-797-0007).

Do I need a doctor's note or medical certificate for my absence related to cold or flu-like symptoms? 

No. Currently, no student is required to have a doctor’s note or medical certificate for cold or flu-related absences, for self-isolation, or any other illness related absences. To receive academic consideration, students need to record their absence circumstances through the Student Absence Declaration form available on ACORN.

Should I complete the Student Absence Declaration form if I feel unwell but I am NOT experiencing cold or flu-like symptoms?

Yes. This tool should be utilized at any point in time that you require consideration for missed academic work.

The University is temporarily suspending the need for a doctor’s note or medical certificate for any absence from academic participation in the University. Please use the Absence Declaration tool on ACORN found in the Profile and Settings menu to formally declare an absence from academic participation. 

In addition to this declaration, you are responsible for contacting your instructors to request the academic consideration you are seeking. Record each day of your absence as soon as it begins, up until the day before you return to classes or other academic activities. We will use this information for academic considerations, such as petitions and requests for extensions of term work.


I am having trouble with internet connectivity at home, what can I do? 

We understand that for some students, transitioning to working off campus is challenging as your internet connectivity may not be strong enough to accommodate alternative teaching methods, such as video conferencing. Please contact central U of T services first, as they may able to assist you with your connectivity issues.

Due to changes in my course delivery, I need to increase my internet capabilities. This is causing me financial hardship, what can I do?

If you need to increase the speed of your internet connection and this unexpected cost is causing you financial distress, please apply for a bursary. Students will be required to show financial need. Questions regarding bursaries may be directed to

International Students

I’m an international student. Will I be able to enter Canada?

Yes. The University of Toronto is a "designated learning institution," meaning international U of T students can travel to Canada, provided that they satisfy the following requirements. You must:

  • Have a study permit or study permit approval letter (otherwise known as a "port of entry letter of introduction") issued by the Canadian government. An "approval in principle" is not enough. You must wait for a final decision regarding your study permit application before attempting to enter Canada.
  • Have either an eTA or TRV (otherwise known as an "entry visa"), if required, along with your passport. (USA citizens are exempt from the eTA/TRV requirement.)
  • Show evidence of registration at U of T in the form of an updated confirmation of enrolment letter. If you don't have a confirmation letter, be sure to request one from the registrar's office.
  • Be registered for a quarantine program. You can either register for a U of T quarantine program, to be completed at a U of T–designated space, or you can quarantine in your own, non-U of T space. Either way, you must show evidence of a quarantine plan to Canadian border agents upon arrival in the country. For more details on how to make a quarantine plan, see the Canadian government's FAQ. Students who meet these requirements are considered to have a non-discretionary reason to enter Canada.

Where can I find information about quarantining at U of T?

U of T will offer spaces for students to fulfill the mandatory quarantine requirements established by the Government of Canada and to support students’ overall health and safety. The University’s Mandatory Quarantine Accommodation program will start August 15. More information on this program can be found on the Office of the Vice-Provost, Students page.

Graduated Students

I have graduated and would like to return my FOB. What do I do?

Due to the closure of University of Toronto Faculties, we had asked students to retain their fob keys until further notice. In the coming weeks, we will provide further details to graduating students regarding the return of your fob keys and your $100 key deposit.

I still have money left on my print account. How can I obtain my money?

Students may request the remainder of their print accounts to be refunded to them by cheque. Please complete and submit this webform to request your refund.