Back to top

Key resources for new graduate students

Essential Guide for Grad Students

The Essential Guide for Grad Students (EGGS) produced by SGS and the Office of Student Life, is a booklet for both new and continuing graduate students which contains information about registration, SGS awards, University-wide resources and much more.

U of T Resources 
Here are a few other U of T resources to get you started.

  • Academic Success Centre helps students improve their academic skills, strategies, and competencies that are essential to succeed.
  • Fitness and Recreation lists the various Varsity Blues teams, intramural sports teams, drop-in recreation and facilities.
  • Centre for International Experience offers international students a guide for coming to U of T, outbound exchange programs, and safety abroad information. The CIE is also offering online advice for study permit application process and other essential related information. Please see here for details and to register for a webinar.
  • Career Centre helps students find work opportunities on and off campus and offers career counselling and workshops.
  • Enrolment Services provides information about applying for government student financial assistance.
  • Graduate Architecture Landscape and Design Student Union (GALDSU) is your Faculty student union providing diverse athletic, cultural and social opportunities for students.
  • Graduate Student Union (GSU) offers students a health and dental plan and runs programs such as bike chain.
  • Health and Wellness provides health services including clinics, Peers are Here and other health promotion programs.
  • Housing Services offers housing and residence services, a roommate finder program, student family housing, and don ship positions.
  • Student Life is a one-stop shop for student clubs, organizations, activities, and opportunities.

Graduate Course Exemptions

  • With the approval of the graduate unit a student may be exempt from a specific course requirement permitting the substitution of another course to meet degree requirements. 

  • If granted, the overall course credit requirements for the degree are not reduced. 

  • More information is available online here.