The Daniels Faculty will assess all post-secondary credits obtained at a certified institution for potential transfer credit. Acceptance of transfer credits by the University of Toronto shall be based on the recognition that, while learning experiences may differ in a variety of ways, their substance may be virtually equivalent in terms of their content and rigour.
Current Daniels Faculty students who wish to take courses at other academic institutions must review the information on the Letter of Permission and Post-Admission Transfer Credit page.
It is strongly recommended that all incoming transfer students (except from FAS, UTM & UTSC) submit their Transfer Credit Assessment Application by May 1. The deadline to submit an assessment is June 1.
Is it mandatory for me to apply for a transfer credit assessment?
Yes. Applying for a transfer credit assessment is mandatory if you are eligible to receive transfer credits. To check eligibility, please review your offer of admission in your JOIN U of T portal. If you are eligible for transfer credit and do not apply for a transfer credit assessment, you will be unable to register in the Daniels Faculty after your first Fall/Winter session.
Transfer Credit Assessment Requests
The following documentation is required in order for previous post-secondary courses to be assessed for transfer credit:
- A $30 transfer credit assessment fee must be paid in order to initiate the transfer credit assessment process. Pay the $30 fee from this Daniels Faculty Online Payment page. You do not need to use the User Login - just complete the "Personal Information, "Payment Information", and "Billing Address" fields, check the "Agree" button, then Submit. Once you have made the payment, please email the receipt/proof of payment (a screenshot is okay) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Transfer Credit Assessment Application
- Ensure that an official final transcript or transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended has been submitted to the University of Toronto. Note: If a final official transcript was submitted to the University of Toronto as part of the admission process, you do not need to arrange for a new one to be sent, unless specifically instructed to do so.
- Detailed course syllabi for all post-secondary courses that you have completed; save each course syllabus separately with course code as file name.
- The Daniels Faculty will not return, nor make copies of, course syllabi and/or any other documentation submitted for the purposes of transfer credit assessment.
Please email the completed request form, proof of payment, and course syllabi (unless exempted by a Transfer Explorer match) to email@example.com with the subject line "On-Admission Transfer Credit Assessment".
- Include your first and last name and your U of T student number
- List all courses separated by subject areas and attach course outlines in PDF format (1 PDF per course), or include links to online course outlines
- For each course, include the following information:
- Number of hours
- Length of the course
- Grading scheme
- Number of essays, tests, and exams
- Reading list
Transfer Students Information
All transfer students into the Daniels Faculty should review the following information carefully:
- All transfer students (except from FAS, UTM & UTSC) must submit a transfer credit assessment application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If documentation is incomplete or is submitted after the deadline, we cannot guarantee that transfer credit assessments will be reviewed before course enrolment begins in July.
- Transfer students may need to complete more than the minimum number of credits required, 20.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCE), in order to complete their degree requirements in the Daniels Faculty.
- Transfer students should review the program requirements for the stream in which they have been granted admission paying close attention to the number of required first-year courses Daniels students must take. A maximum of 6.0 FCE at the 100-level may be used for degree credit in the Daniels Faculty and this includes transfer credits (i.e. if a student receives 4.0 FCE in 100-level transfer credits and they still must take 4.0 FCE of required first-year courses for the Architectural Studies program, 2.0 credits will be marked 'Extra' and will not count towards degree credit).
- Transfer students must still take the required first-year courses unless they receive transfer credit for those courses; they may also need to take other first-year courses depending on their academic interests.
- Transfer credits awarded for post-secondary level studies cannot be forfeited.
- Transfer students may not be able to complete all degree requirements within four years from the date on which they began their post-secondary studies outside of the Daniels Faculty, or may need to take summer courses in order to do so.
- Transfer students are not eligible to go on an outbound exchange during their first year of study in the Daniels Faculty, no matter to which year of study they were admitted.
- There are limits to the maximum number of credits that may be transferred, depending on where previous studies were completed and what portion of a program was completed, for further details visit the General Information page.