All applicants MUST submit the One Idea supplementary application in addition to their official application to the University of Toronto in order to be considered for admission. Those who do not submit the supplementary application by February 1 will be automatically refused admission. For more information on the application process and requirements, see Applying to Undergraduate Studies at Daniels. There is a $45 supplementary application fee collected at the time of application; this fee is non-refundable.
Approximately one week after we receive your application the University will send you an email acknowledgement including your JOINid/UTORid, your University of Toronto applicant number, and full information about the next steps in the application process. Your JOINid/UTORid will provide you with access to submit your supplementary application.
You will have only one opportunity to submit your response to the One Idea question. Once you have reviewed and submitted your supplementary application, your submission is final.
One Idea Deadline
February 1, 2019 (11:59pm, Eastern Standard Time)
One Idea Requirements
Applicants are encouraged to begin preparing their supplementary application ahead of time.
Required: Architectural Studies and Visual Studies Applicants
Read the One Idea questions carefully. Choose one of the four questions to answer. Prepare a written response (between 250 and 650 words). Some HTML filters are allowable. This means, you can use bold text, italics, underlines, etc. in your response.
We are interested in how you will pursue your intellectual interests and apply your personal experience, background, and future goals within our programs. This is the opportunity for us to hear your voice, and to help us envision what you will bring to the Daniels Faculty. In fact we are not looking for one idea, but many.
The Questions (Choose only one to answer):
1. Describe a problem that you solved; intellectual, ethical, or otherwise important to you.
2. Describe a moment when you challenged a belief or idea.
3. Tell us about a time when you learned from failure.
4. Tell us how you express your creative side (through problem solving, innovative thinking, artistically, etc.).
Creative Ideas/ Images
Optional: Architectural Studies Applicants
Required: Visual Studies Applicants
Select four to six of your own images to include in your submission. You will be required to provide information on the title, medium used, the original size of the artwork, date of completion, and whether the project was done independently, collaboratively, or in a class for each item submitted. Limit one image file per upload. Limit one video (max 1 minute in length, 100megabites) per applicant.
This is your opportunity to share some images of your own creative work in a limited capacity. Think critically about the images that best represent who you are and who you want to be as a designer or artist.
Architectural Studies Applicant Note:
Why is there no portfolio? We believe that students, especially at the undergraduate level, do not necessarily need to already have an aptitude in art or design to become successful architects, landscape architects, or urbanists. At the same time, some students have a background, interest, or talent in a visual medium that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. Therefore, we do provide a platform for sharing this with us, but it is still not a portfolio requirement in the traditional sense.
Steps for Submitting the One Idea
Approximately one week after we receive your application the University will send you an email acknowledgement including your JOINid/UTORid, your University of Toronto applicant number, and full information about the next steps in the application process. Your JOINid/UTORid will provide you with access to your Join U of T portal where you will be able to submit the One Idea.
- Once you have logged in, proceed to your Status Check page.
- Follow the link on your Status Check page – “Daniels One Idea Application” – to start an One Idea Application.
- Click on “Start New Application” on the bottom of the page to begin. A pop up box will appear, prompting you to create a new One Idea Application.
- After clicking on “Create Application”, an “Open Application” button will automatically appear, clicking on it will take you to the application.
- You will then be prompted to provide your Written Response in Part 1.
- Once complete, you will proceed to Part II – Creative Ideas. This is optional for Architectural Studies and required for Visual Studies. You should drag and drop media files into the area to upload them. Files will appear in the “My Portfolio” tab once upload is completed. You will be able to edit the title, year of completion, size, medium used, and a description for each uploaded image.
- Following completion of Part II you will proceed to the “Confirm and Submit” stage.
- Submit the final submission no later than February 1, 2019.
Note: You can also save your application and return to complete or submit it at a later time. Please ensure that you return to your application to confirm and submit no later than 11:59 pm (EST) on February 1, 2019.