All applicants MUST submit the One Idea supplementary application in addition to their official application to the University of Toronto in order to be considered for admission. Those who do not submit the supplementary application by February 1 will be automatically refused admission. For more information on the application process and requirements, see Applying to Undergraduate Studies at Daniels. There is a $45 supplementary application fee collected at the time of application; this fee is non-refundable.
Approximately one week after we receive your application the University will send you an email acknowledgement including your JOINid, your University of Toronto applicant number, and full information about the next steps in the application process. Your JOINid will provide you with access to submit your One Idea supplementary application.
You will have only one opportunity to submit your One Idea supplementary application. Once you have reviewed and submitted your supplementary application, your submission is final.
The use of generative artificial intelligence (AI) tools, such as ChatGPT and other AI applications, is prohibited when creating content for any University of Toronto undergraduate application.
Students and applicants found to have used generative AI (e.g., ChatGPT) to create content that is presented as their own will be disqualified from eligibility for admission. This prohibited use of generative AI for content creation will be considered an academic offence. For information on academic integrity at the University of Toronto, visit academicintegrity.utoronto.ca.
Recommended early deadline for One Idea: December 15, 2023 (11:59pm, Eastern Standard Time)
Final deadline for One Idea: February 1, 2024 (11:59pm, Eastern Standard Time)
Applicants are encouraged to begin preparing their supplementary application ahead of time.
Required: Architectural Studies and Visual Studies Applicants
Read the One Idea questions carefully. Choose one of the four questions to answer. Prepare a written response (between 250 and 650 words).
We are interested in how you will pursue your intellectual interests and apply your personal experience, background, and future goals within our programs. This is the opportunity for us to hear your voice, and to help us envision what you will bring to the Daniels Faculty. In fact we are not looking for one idea, but many.
The Questions (Choose only one to answer):
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, please tell us how this influences your work.
2. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
3. Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
4. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to shaping our outlook on future challenges. How will you use your previous experiences to creatively reorient your approach to new problems?
Creative Ideas / Images
Optional: Architectural Studies Applicants
Required: Visual Studies Applicants
Select four to six of your own images to include in your submission.
This means single images - if one work is an integrated diptych or triptych, then that counts as one image and should remain whole - but do not include a sheet of thumbnail images.
For each item submitted, you will be required to provide information on the title, medium used, the original size of the artwork, date of completion, and please specify if the work was done as a school assignment or not.
Please submit images that are entirely your own creative work.
Other than what is required in the point above, do not add any extra or additional writing on the documentation of the visual images (i.e. no explanations, etc.).
Limit one image file per upload. Limit one video (max 1 minute in length, 100megabites) per applicant.
If you are submitting sound work please include it within a video file.
This is your opportunity to share some images of your own creative work in a limited capacity. Think critically about the images that best represent who you are and who you want to be as an artist.
Architectural Studies Applicant Note:
Why is there no portfolio? We believe that students, especially at the undergraduate level, do not necessarily need to already have an aptitude in art or design to become successful architects, landscape architects, or urbanists. At the same time, some students have a background, interest, or talent in a visual medium that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. Therefore, we do provide a platform for sharing this with us, but it is still not a portfolio requirement in the traditional sense.
Approximately one week after we receive your application the University will send you an email acknowledgement including your JOINid/UTORid, your University of Toronto applicant number, and full information about the next steps in the application process. Your JOINid/UTORid will provide you with access to your Join U of T portal where you will be able to submit the One Idea.
- Once you have logged in, proceed to your Status Check page.
- Follow the link on your Status Check page – “Daniels One Idea Application” – to start an One Idea Application.
- Click on “Start New Application” on the bottom of the page to begin. A pop up box will appear, prompting you to create a new One Idea Application.
- After clicking on “Create Application”, an “Open Application” button will automatically appear, clicking on it will take you to the application.
- You will then be prompted to provide your Written Response in Part 1.
- Once complete, you will proceed to Part II – Creative Ideas. This is optional for Architectural Studies and required for Visual Studies. You should drag and drop media files into the area to upload them. Files will appear in the “My Portfolio” tab once upload is completed. You will be able to edit the title, year of completion, size, medium used, and a description for each uploaded image.
- Following completion of Part II you will proceed to the “Confirm and Submit” stage.
- Submit the final submission no later than February 1.
Note: You can also save your application and return to complete or submit it at a later time. However once submitted, no alterations to your submission can be made. Please ensure that you return to your application to confirm and submit no later than 11:59 pm (EST) on February 1.