Back to top

Letter of Permission

Please note that participation in an in-person independent summer program abroad (whether in your region or not) for 2021 will not be sanctioned by the university. As such, Daniels will not issue any Letters of Permission for summer 2021. Please see here.

Students in the Daniels Faculty who wish to take courses at another North American University must request a Letter of Permission, a minimum of eight weeks prior to the start of the academic session. Please read the Transfer Credit Assessment Guide prior to requesting your Letter of Permission.

A Letter of Permission indicates whether or not you are eligible for transfer credit, the course equivalencies and exclusions (where relevant), and any restrictions or conditions that may apply upon successful completion of a course at a different institution. Upon completion of course work on a Letter of Permission, you must arrange with the host institution to have an official transcript sent directly to the Transfer Credit Section of the Daniels Faculty. Upon receipt of the official transcript, the Letter of Permission is re-evaluated and you will be notified of the transfer credits you have received.

In some cases, the Daniels Faculty may require additional information in order to grant a Letter of Permission or to award credit upon completion. Letters of Permission can take up to four (4) to six (6) weeks to process.

Be advised that if you do not receive approval through a Letter of Permission prior to completing courses at another post-secondary institution, there is no guarantee that those courses will be eligible for transfer credit towards your degree within the Daniels Faculty at U of T. In this case, you will be required to apply for a post-admission transfer credit assessment.

Canadian and American Institutions

Daniels Faculty students may request a Letter of Permission to complete studies at another recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or the United States. Please note that students are not permitted to be enrolled at two institutions simultaneously.

Summer Abroad Programs at North American Institutions

We are aware that a number of institutions may offer summer abroad programs that students from other institutions are eligible to apply for. The Daniels Faculty will review these requests on a case-by-case basis.

Currently, only the following six U.S. institutions are approved for summer abroad studies in China.

  • Portland State University, OR
  • Texas Wesleyan University, TX
  • Bridgewater State University, MA
  • Eastern Michigan University, MI
  • Framingham State University, MA
  • Seminole State College of Florida, FL


In order to be eligible to request a Letter of Permission you must;

  • Be registered in the Honours Bachelor of Arts, Architectural Studies or the Honours Bachelor of Arts, Visual Studies
  • Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 1.5 in the academic session prior to studies at the host institution and
  • Have completed a minimum of 4.0 credits by the academic session for which you are requesting a Letter of Permission

You are not eligible if;

  • You owe money to the University of Toronto,
  • You are ineligible to register in the Daniels Faculty because you are on academic suspension,
  • If you are on academic probation,
  • If you have already received academic credit for the course(s) or a similar course or courses,
  • If you have already completed your degree requirements,
  • If you have already received 10.0 Full Course Equivalents (FCE) on-admission transfer credits or 5.0 FCE post-admission transfer credits, or
  • If you have received a combination of on-admission and/or post-admission transfer credits that total 10.0 FCE.

Request a Letter of Permission

The following is required in order to request a Letter of Permission:

  • Completion of the Letter of Permission Request Form
  • $40.00 fee. Pay the $40 fee from your Daniels account. Log into your Daniels Account and look for an "ORSS Services" tab on the top-left of the screen, which has a list of different payments that can be made. Once you have made the payment, please email the receipt/proof of payment (a screenshot is okay) to
  • Detailed course syllabi for all courses you are requesting to take at the host institution. One course per PDF - save each PDF with the course code & name
  • Please email the completed request form and course syllabi to with the subject line "Letter of Permission"

Assessing Transfer Credits

Some factors taken into consideration during the assessment of courses for post-admission transfer credit include:

  • Content (must be appropriate for the type of curriculum and programs offered in the Daniels Faculty or Faculty of Arts & Science and must not overlap with previous coursework);
  • Level and type of instruction;
  • Credit weight of the course;
  • Academic structure at the host institution;
  • Type of academic program through which the course was taught;
  • Grading system used by the host university
  • If the course completed had any studio component, then samples of completed studio work may be required.

A maximum of 1.0 300/400 level transfer credit may be used towards the fulfillment of the 300/400 level degree requirement for students on Letter of Permission.

Upon completion of courses through a Letter of Permission, you must arrange for an official transcript to be sent directly from the host institution to the Office of the Registrar & Student Services. Once received, your Letter of Permission will be reviewed and all eligible courses will be added to your academic record. Transcripts provided by the student (even if sealed) will not be accepted. Emailed transcripts will not be accepted.

Safety Abroad

All U of T students participating in University-sanctioned international activities have access to the Safety Abroad Office (SAO) and emergency services.

The Safety Abroad Office works with students, staff and faculty to minimize risk by:

  • Providing Safety Abroad Workshops
  • Monitoring international security situations
  • Assisting students with emergencies abroad
  • Offering a 24-hour emergency line

We strongly encourage all Daniels students, engaging in any type of studies internationally, to register with the Safety Abroad Office. 

Contact Us

If you have any questions, please contact:

Visit: Office of the Registrar & Student Services, Room 100

Phone: +1-416-946-3897