OSAP & Other Government Aid
Ontario residents: The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government financial aid program that assists eligible Ontario residents attending university through a combination of loans and grants. Visit the OSAP website to find out more and to apply for OSAP today: www.ontario.ca/osap.
- For UT-specific information about OSAP, visit this Enrolment Services website.
- For Daniels Faculty-specific information about OSAP, see Applying for OSAP at the Daniels Faculty.
Residents of other Canadian provinces: Students who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial or territorial governments. Applications are usually available in late May or early June.
US citizens or permanent residents: The University of Toronto is an approved institution for the administration of subsidized and unsubsidized US Direct Loans and PLUS Direct Loans, according to the Higher Education Act, Title IV. For more information, please visit Enrolment Services.
Fee Deferrals - students who have applied for OSAP, other provinces' loans and grants, and US DIrect Loans may be eligible to request a tuition fee deferral. A successful tuition fee deferral registers you for the academic year without needing to make payment immediately AND extends your deadline for paying your outstanding ACORN fees.
Student Loan Repayment webinars - provided by the National Student Loans Service Centre.
University of Toronto Advanced Planning for Students (UTAPS) and other financial aid programs fill the financial gap for full-time students who receive the maximum amount of government financial aid available, but whose funding doesn’t cover all university costs.
UTAPS funding varies depending on student need. See the Financial Aid/ UTAPS Online Estimator
To be eligible for UTAPS funding, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a protected person (recognized convention refugee); and
- Be enrolled in full time studies for the fall and winter session; and
- Be receiving the maximum amount of OSAP, other provincial/territorial government student aid, or First Nation’s band funding but this funding doesn’t cover all of your university costs (i.e., you have unmet need); and
- Be enrolled in an eligible program.
Review the UTAPS website for complete information and deadlines.
- Students with non-Ontario government student funding must submit a UTAPS application.
- Students with OSAP funding do not need to submit a UTAPS application; the OSAP application serves as the UTAPS application.
- International students and part-time students are not eligible.
Grants & Emergency Funding
Accessibility Services & BSWD
University of Toronto Awards and Grants
Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities
Financial Aid through First Nations House
Family Care Office
Association of Part-time Students - APUS
University of Toronto Student Union - UTSU
Daniels Faculty Financial Aid
Full-Time undergraduate students experiencing financial difficulties beyond their control may apply for grant assistance through the Daniels Faculty. Grants do not replace government funding or UTAPS (where applicable).
- Students who are not eligible for Canadian government student funding from OSAP or other provinces may still apply for grant funding. However, please keep in mind that resources are limited.
- International students who are experiencing an unexpected or unforeseen financial difficulty can set an appointment with the Office of the Registrar and Student Services to discuss options.
Deadlines to Apply:
Friday, October 29, 2021, 9am Toronto time. Applications submitted after this deadline will be reviewed after the winter deadline listed below.
Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 9am Toronto time. After this deadline, only emergency grant applications will be reviewed.
Completed grant applications should be submitted via ACORN to the Office of the Registrar and Student Services. When completing a grant application it is important that we get a complete picture of your current financial situation, including any special circumstances. After submitting the grant application, you may be requested to submit any relevant documentation or to meet with ORSS staff to discuss your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application: U of T Grant Application Portal
Financial Planning Calculator
This calculator will show you how much money you will need to cover tuition and fees, housing costs, food and everything else for the upcoming academic year. You'll provide some background and income information, and we'll show you a budget summary and direct you to some useful resources to help you save money.
Financial Aid Counselling
Counsellors can help you navigate the array of government and University of Toronto programs, scholarships and bursaries available to you. They can also help with budget planning and debt management.
The Daniels Faculty provides financial counselling by appointment or during drop-in hours on Wednesdays between 2 & 4pm. To set an appointment contact the Office of the Registrar and Student Services.
A Career Educator, Natasha Jamal, is available to meet with Daniels students to assist with a variety of services and resources including career guidance, summer employment information, or advice on how to prepare for life after graduation.
Daniels students are automatically considered for most Faculty-specific admissions, in-course, and graduating scholarships and are emailed regarding application-based opportunities as they become available. The Daniels Faculty regularly compiles and updates a list of open external competitions that may be of interest to assist you in your search for alternative funding opportunities. Additional jobs, competition, and calls for papers are listed in the Weekly Newsletter. We encourage students to sign up by entering their email address at the bottom of this page.
Know a competition we missed? Let us know at email@example.com and we will add it to the next update.
Have you won a competition recently? Share your story with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by tagging us @UofTDaniels, #UofTDaniels.
These websites are a great place to start your search for both U of T-wide awards and external opportunities.